Monday, January 09, 2006

More on Stewart

The posting continues...

Jared asked me for further thoughts on Golden Boy hosting the Oscars. As my nickname for him suggests, he can do little to no wrong, in my book. Daily Show is absolutely brilliant, and much of that has to do with Stewart and his clan of writers. The recent bit "Coot Off" between Robert Byrd and Ted Stevens was as good a segment on the show as I had seen since the 2004 election. I highly recommend watching it on comedycentral.com/dailyshow

Anyways, if Stewart brings his writing staff with him, and I imagine Gil Cates will encourage that, then we all have much to look forward to. With the politicized nature of many of the Oscar-worthy flicks (gay cowboys, big oil, terrorism, globalism, africa...need i go on?), Stewart has so much material to mine. All that being said, I will be watching with baited breath, for a number of reasons.

1) Stewart is not a physical comedian. He works sitting in front of a desk, and never really walks around. During the monologue, which will likely make or break the night (for the vibe in the theater and for itchy remote triggers at home), how will Stewart translate his shtick to walking around a stage? Also, much of the show's humor lies in airing congressional/media gaffes and absurdities...then making a joke about it. Maybe his monologue will do that with celebrities, and it could succeed, but that brings me to ...

2) Stewart sucks with celebrities. I know many people, myself included, who shut off the tube when the guest on Daily Show is a celebrity publicizing his/her new movie. It's usually just not funny or interesting. Probably because Jon Stewart just doesnt give a damn about it. Honestly, if you spent your day analyzing senate idiosyncrasies, would you even feign interest in Pierce Brosnan in The Matador? How will Stewart deal in a room full of ego-driven celebrities...as opposed to liberal college-age students?

3) His routine isn't Hollywood-centric. Like I've said numerous times in this post, Stewart just doesnt do Hollywood. This isnt Jay Leno or Conan or Letterman--making Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan cracks. Chris Rock, Steve Martin, Billy Crystal are all insiders who have been around the Beverly Hills scene for years. Jon Stewart was in a couple of flops and would fit better in DC than LA. I just dont know how well he'll jive at the Oscars.

Those are my concerns. I pray he'll be funny. But even if he isnt, he has a cozy home at the Daily Show with a devoted audience that won't really care either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home