Sunday, January 22, 2006

So many things to blog...

...way too much delaying actually writing about them. I have a laundry list of items to write about, so hopefully I'll get to them throughout this week . Stay tuned.

But today's post deals with one of my least favorite people, Brent Bozell. I've written about him before, check out my Tufts Daily column on him...it's one of my favorites. No matter how much I disagree with him, and no matter how many times his vitriolic crap angers me, I still read him along with many other right-wing nutcases. Let me say for the record, again, that I agree with Bozell on one issue, and only one issue: a la carte cable options. I dont want Bozell and his Parents Television Council army crashing my love for trashy TV, but if they can opt out on paying for trashy channels, all the more power to them.

Anyways, straight to the Bozo Column: Old Europe's Golden Globes

Where is this "enormous" influence the Golden Globes has over a) our culture and b) the Oscars? Does Mr. Bozell have any facts to back this up? No, of course not. In fact, I think very very few people care who wins the Golden Globes. This gives me an opportunity to rant against the awards show whose only reason for gaining any attention is that all of Hollywood gets plastered on stage. But I'd like to see any evidence where the Golden Globes matter ...other than fashion/gossip rags and the entertainment world.

Like his Townhall.com counterpart, Bert Prelutsky (cue Nutsky pun here), Bozell admits to not seeing Capote, or Brokeback, or TransAmerica:
People who've actually seen these movies are a better judge of whether these actors deserved the acting honors. I am told that Hoffman was superb.
Yes, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was quite spectacular in embodying Truman Capote. The film was otherwise a bit slow, and I thought Catherine Keener put forth a better performance, but Hoffman was great. So what is wrong with recognizing a great performance?

Apparently because none of them are "box-office-booming" successes. Who would Bozell have nominated for an ACTING category from War of the Worlds or Star Wars? The films were entertaining and all, but an acting award for Hayden Christensen pouting like a three-year old...or Dakota Fanning for screaming throught a two-hour movie? The only person I could possibly see getting nominated for anything among the movies he mentioned is Naomi Watts...but they could have shown a loop of her blue eyes staring in awe with her jaw agape and no one would have noticed.

His closing paragraph reiterates his opening, but he makes even less sense.
Let's hope that when our children look back on the classic movies and TV of their youth, they won't be influenced by which ones won the Golden Globes. I'm already eager to forget who just won.

Again, are our children influenced TODAY by who won the Golden Globes? I follow the awards seasons, and look forward to seeing films that are recognized as the best of the year, and I've ALREADY forgotten who has won many of the Golden Globes from last week. I have no idea who won anything from last year.

This is all a part of the ridiculous culture wars...which, as E.J. Dionne pointed out in this month's Atlantic, is a war between those who think one exists, and those who think it is a ludicrous way of avoiding the real problems of our world. The Golden Globes are not corrupting our children...instead look to those closeminded idealogues with no handle on reality.

I'm looking towards you, Bozo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home