Tuesday, September 25, 2007

First Thoughts: Big Bang Theory

Dorks are all the rage this season, or at least, on Mondays around 8:30 pm. Enter this scripted...er...comedic...er...sit-com version of "Beauty and the Geek" starring the second best part of "8 Simple Rules", Kaley Cuoco, and a few other guys including the Nicholas Cage impersonator from Studio 60. So, he's gotten a promotion.

Speaking of Studio 60 remembrances, the nameless, speechless Asian character from that show ended up on Chuck as a member of the Nerd Herd. And she actually spoke! Another promotion!

I believe it has been Ian who has said that pilots are often a poor way to judge a TV show, which is kind of like judging a restaurant during its first two weeks. I say that because there was a lot of repetition in the types of jokes told, as if the writers needed to browbeat the premise into our brains. I'll give the show another episode or two, mostly because of Jim Parsons.

He has great comedic timing and fits his character perfectly, reminding me of David Hyde Pierce's scene-stealing performances as Niles Crane on Frasier. Sadly, Johnny Galecki as Parson's roommate, is not very good and does little to build up the empathy I'll need to feel sorry for him when Kaley finds ways to reject him frequently, yet gracefully.

For tips...he should check out Chuck. Dork power.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Sammy Akkoush said...

Kaley Cuoco is vastly underrated.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'm the Ian here. Yay! I'm not sure that pilots are a poor way to judge a TV show, but I will say that it's tough to get a read on the funny. Most of what I would consider the great comedies on TV started very slowly, and some, like The Office and 30 Rock, were pretty actively boring at first. Good sitcoms hit their stride pretty quickly, though, as far as I can tell. I can't think of shows that got funny only after a couple of seasons. Seinfeld, I suppose, although I never watched the early years.

Meanwhile, none of this has a thing to do with The Big Bang Theory, which will never be funny, even if it kept producing episodes from now through the apocalypse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home