Tuesday, September 25, 2007

First Thoughts: Reaper

So remember how I wrote yesterday that Chuck had the problem of being derivative and seemingly unoriginal? That was nothing compared to Reaper, which is pretty much exactly what you would expect if a lower-budget network like the CW tried to rip-off Chuck. The similarities between the shows are depressing and make Reaper just look lame in comparison.

Unfulfilled potential in main lead actor? Check (or should it be Chuck?) Wise-cracking sidekick? Check. Unattainable female lead? Check. Mockery of Big-Box stores? Check. Lead actor has unexplained mental powers? Check. Sigh.

I wouldn't have even considered watching the show had Ian (yay!) not auspiciously mentioned how excited he was for its premiere and that it was "one of the best reviewed new shows" of the season. And, its not as if this were Kid Nation and I wish had my hour back, but I'm mostly shrugging off Reaper as a failed attempt at a bizarre premise for a show.

The lead actor, Bret Harrison, does his best to make Sam unexceptional and uninteresting...and it strains incredulity that he would be uncomfortable around his hot female co-worker (who could have been Hillary Swank had she been attractive). Yes, it's odd that in a series about a 21-year-old (and Sam looks like he's 25 years old, because he IS) whose soul is sold to the devil, the part that makes me pause the most is the unspoken love between two of the lead characters.

Missy Peregym, the shapeshifter from last year's season of Heroes, is a fine actress...I just have a hard time believing that she'd be single and mopey. Hot people can't be sad...at least, thats what I like to tell myself.

The saddest part about Reaper is the missed opportunity with Ray Wise as Applegate, Beezlebub, The Devil. As the best part of 24's Season Five, Wise's presence was underused in the pilot, and I hope for his sake that he gets a bigger role in later episodes. The best role in Damn Yankees is Applegate...Good Ol' Days is a ham-handed showstopper, but the character is rife with opportunities to chew the scenery. Why not let Wise take over the spotlight wasted on Bret Harrison?

Lastly, the special effects were awful. This was one of the many things that confused me about Buffy's popularity...where the special effects struck me as second-rate. The scene with the arsonist was laughable in its melodrama, especially when you compare it to the effects from Heroes or Chuck.

What were your thoughts on the zamboni thing? I was cracking up at the audacity of it....but seemed out of sync with the tone of the rest of the show. If they're going dark comedy, with Wise as the star, then there's still hope.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I (yay!) agree with you here entirely. It's rare that I disagree with Alan Sepinwall, but the Reaper I saw wasn't the one he describes here: http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/09/sepinwall_on_tv_two_superhuman.html Chuck is the obvious comparison, but I thought Chuck had a much lighter touch and three or four characters that quickly popped (and Captain Awesome!).

Meanwhile, on Reaper, the only character that worked for me was the Devil, and even there, the writers don't quite have the voice right yet. Missy Peregrym was awful, and I wasn't surprised to find out that her scenes were all pickup shots. The friends were non-descript, the parents were kind of simps, and everyone was lacking motivation. This is how I usually feel about every Kevin Smith project, though, so I don't know why I was excited in the first place.

I also agree with you that the zamboni scene is Reaper's greatest hope. While Chuck should stay light, I think Reaper would do well to seriously imperil the character, rather than continually make him feel comfortable. This was the one scene where they established the Devil beyond fun pranks and stray dogs, and if they hold that tone, I'll probably keep watching.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Anna Shoup said...

hum, i won't ask what you've been up to. we are getting a coffee machine in the big room and have started a war with the superfluous extra room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home